Welcome to Paul’s Hideaway
A self-catering safari experience like no other…
On the banks of the Machaton River stands a stone and thatch cottage, an idyllic hideaway in the heart of the Timbavati. Home to leopards, lions, elephants, buffalo, giraffe, and the critically endangered African wild dogs. This is the African bush in all its wild glory.
From the wide wraparound veranda, you’ll see elephants at the watering hole below. From your bed at night, you’ll hear lions call, hyenas cry, owls hoot. Birdsong and fish eagles will wake you, and a leopard may pass by your front door.
Your own ranger and private 4×4 ensure two exciting and tailor-made game drives per day.
‘My father, Paul Geiger, built this cottage as an escape from city life. A sacred place which honours the wilderness, and where animals are centre stage, a haven of simplicity and serenity. There’s even an outdoor bedroom from where you can see the stars, be part of nature’s harmony,’ Marion explains. ‘He was a great birder and one of the reasons he chose this spot was for its outstanding birdlife.’
Paul’s Hideaway is about simplicity and oneness with nature. You sense immediately that you are in someone’s home – Paul and Mechthild Geiger’s bush home. Furniture is comfy, the decor zen-like, the ambiance soothing.
A wilderness of more than 500 square kilometres of unfenced terrain that opens onto the famous Kruger National Park. Elephants, lions, buffalo, black and white rhinoceros, leopards and cheetahs are free to roam. On any game drive you might also see giraffes, wild dogs, hyenas, wildebeest, impalas, baboons. More than forty mammals share this untamed corner of Africa.
If you love birds, bring your Roberts and your long lens because you’re sure to see a plethora of exciting bird species and may even tick off a few lifers.
So what can one expect?
- The opportunity to experience Africa’s Big 5
- Explore unchartered wilderness adjacent the Kruger National Park
- 2 Game drives daily with a qualified field guide
- Off road driving for the Big 5 species
- Breathtaking views along the Machaton River
- An exclusive serviced fully equipped self-catering home
What makes us unique?
- Guests at Paul’s Hideaway have exclusive use of the bush home. No other guest, belonging to another group, will be booked at the same time
- 6 guests can be accommodated in 3 en-suite rooms
- This family home boasts a large, outdoor veranda overlooking the Machaton riverbed where leopards patrol and blazing African sunsets shimmer on the horizon
- The home is unfenced so you’re right in the thick of all the action
Game viewing in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve can be phenomenal and full of amazing surprises so have a look at the video to give you an idea of the amazing wildlife opportunities that one may experience on their stay with us.